Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2019

Anaerobic respiration

Anaerobic respiration
Aim: to demonstrate the effects of anaerobic respiration (muscle fatigue)
Hypothesis: My hand is getting tired as I do it faster and it becomes harder every time I close and open it
Equipment: A spring-loaded clothes peg
Method:
  1. Hold the clothes peg as shown in the diagram below
  2. Relax tour fingers so that the peg closes all the way 
  3. Squeeze your thumb and forefinger so the peg is fully open
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as quickly as you can until you experience muscle fatigue 
Results/observations: you will feel that you hand or fingers (phalanges) are getting tired 
Conclusion/Discussion: I saw the pegs and my hand that my hand or fingers are having the energy to move the pegs
Evaluation:
  1. Explain what type of respiration your cells are using
    • At the beginning of the exercise, it’s aerobic 
    • At the end of the exercise, it’s already Anaerobic
  2. Write an equation to summarize anaerobic respiration 
  3. Explain why anaerobic respiration is considered ‘wasteful’ respiration


1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne,
    A great start with your blog post.
    For your discussion and evaluation, next time you should add an explanation of why you think it is happening. For example, I think my fingers were getting sore because I have used up all of the oxygen to make aerobic energy so that I only could not make as much energy to be used (anaerobic).

    Grade 7/10

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.