Pages

Sunday 3 March 2019

Harriet Tubman and the Rail Road



Spiritual songs about slaves:

Go down, Moses- is an African- American spiritual, a type of lyric that is also referred to as a Negro folk song. Go Down, Moses is also said to have been sung by abolitionists to signal escape or rebellion. 

Follow the drinking Guard- The Drinking Gourd is another name for the Big Dipper asterism. According to legend, the song was used by a conductor of the Underground Railroad, called Peg Leg Joe, to guide some fugitive slaves.


2 comments:

  1. Anne
    Great work. There is a great rock n roll song 'Midnight Special; that was written about the underground railroad. Have you heard it? Lorraine and zi love dancing to it. How might you have felt as a member of the 'underground'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would love too, thank for your compliment

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.